Family Rides in South East Queensland
What is it?
A book of detailed maps of bike paths suitable for recreational cycling, thoroughly covering South East Queensland.
Why are the maps in this book better than the free maps available?
Because we are cyclists with families and we wanted something better and more accurate so we rode every metre to make sure. It took us more than a year.
What do the maps show?
- Rideable paths in great detail
- Playgrounds with ratings
- Shelter and drinking water
- Barbecues and carparks
- Cafes and Ice Cream kiosks
- Dirt jumps and skate parks with ratings
What area does it cover?
- North to Noosa and Pomona
- South to Kingscliff and Casuarina in NSW
- West past Toowoomba to Oakey
- East to Coochiemudlo Island!
Sunshine Coast, Moreton Bay, Brisbane, Redland, Gold Coast have heaps of trails
Toowoomba, Ipswich, Scenic Rim, Somerset and Southern Downs have relatively few.
Who will get value from this book?
- Families looking for some adventure and exercise
- Newcomers to cycling looking for an easy introduction
- Cyclists looking for safe, easy rides with no cars to worry about
What trails are in the book?
Most of these rides are designed specifically for recreational cycling. Our criteria for selecting rides are:
- Well formed dedicated bike paths, concrete, bitumen or dirt, reasonably wide, no steps
- Generally flat, not physically challenging
- Attractive environment, path travels through reserve or alongside a creek, not a highway
- Good resources - shelter, drinking water, ice cream
- Few road crossings, no riding on the road, little riding alongside roads
What kinds of trail?
The book contains a variety of trails; almost any bicycle is suitable for these rides except skinny slicks on the wetter or gravel trails.
- Bike paths along the beach such as the Gold Coast Oceanway can be linked into epic journeys
- Bike paths through leafy suburbia like Narangba
- Bike paths along creek flood zones through Brisbane
- Short bike paths in smaller reserves, suitable for youngsters
- Rail trails in places like Wamuran and Fernvale
- Dirt trails in bush where they are relatively flat, wide and easy, eg several in Redland